How to Setup Domain Pointers - Domain Management
Please see the articles below for the detailed steps:
- How to Purchase a Domain - Domain Registration
- How to Transfer A Domain to Your Account - Domain Transfers
It is also important to know where your files are located. It will be useful for the next procedures.
Once you have an active domain (or if you already have an active domain) associated with your account, please follow the steps below:
Updating Domain Pointers
Log in to your Domains Dashboard.
- On the dashboard, select the domain name you wish to modify.
There are two views in the Domains dashboard - the Card and List views. Click on the view icons to switch to your preferred view.
- Choose the domain where you'd like to set up domain pointers
In the Card view, click the domain's Manage button.
In List view, click the domain or its gear icon on the right-hand side.
- On the left sidebar, click on Pointers & Subdomains.
Home Directory - This setting causes your domain to point to the main directory of your hosting account. This pointer type is best when there are no other domain names on file and the website files are placed in the home directory.
- Once you are on Pointers & Subdomains page, on the Pointer Type, select Home then hit Save. It will automatically point the domain to Home Directory. Most of the time the /public_html/ or "/" are used for denoting the Root Folder.
- First, You have to know the name of the folder where the file is located. You can check it by going into Hosting Dashboard.
- On the left pane, select File Manager.
- Inside the root directory, locate where your file is and note the folder name.
- Then go back to Pointers & Subdomain page and write down the folder name in the given field, then hit Save.
- In the Pointers & Subdomain page, select the Pointer Type as URL Standard and place the full URL of the website you would like your visitors to be redirected. Make sure to hit Save.
- Go to the Pointers & Subdomain page, select the Pointer Type as URL Stealth and place the full URL of the website you would like your visitors to be redirected. Make sure to hit Save.
- In the Pointers & Subdomain page, select the Pointer Type as Park then hit Save.
- Root directory - is the directory at the highest level of a hierarchy. The topmost folder in the directory
- Home Directory - is the directory or folder where the user can store all their personal information, files, login scripts, and user information
- URL address - is the address of a website